Us Passport Photo
Your photo is a vital part of your passport application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency. We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements
U.S. Passport Photo Requirements
Passport Photo Requirements
If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide one (1) photo.
Your passport photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- If you normally wear a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
- Glasses are not acceptable in your photo. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with your application.
- Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera flash.
Review Photo Examples
Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos
Need a fast, easy and inexpensive way to get a photo you can use for your passport or visa application?
- Use your own camera in the comfort of your home or office. Simply click and then upload your photo to our website. We will take care of the rest ensuring your photo meets government and consular requirements
Can I use a digital camera to take my photo?
Yes, you can use a mobile phone or digital camera. We recommend that you submit the original image to us, not a compressed file. Most images of at least 1 MB will work but do not submit files larger than 15 MB. The format may be either ‘jpg’, ‘jpeg’, ‘gif’; or ‘png’.
How should I pose for my photo?
You must directly face the camera. Profile shots will not be accepted. Your expression should be neutral with both eyes open and directly facing the camera. Photos with unusual expressions and squinting will not be accepted.
Can eyeglasses be worn in the photo?
No. Neither the US Passport Office nor the foreign consulates permit the wearing of eyeglasses in photographs.
Is it acceptable for my child’s eyes to be closed in his/her photo?
It is acceptable if an infant’s eyes, particularly a newborn’s, are not entirely open. All other children must have their eyes open and looking straight ahead towards the camera.
Will you store my photo so it can be reused at a later date?
No, we will not store your photo because there are government requirements that every photo that is submitted be taken within the last six months.